Only Yesterday (1991): A Quiet Journey Back to Childhood

Original title: Omohide poro poro
Directed by: Isao Takahata

Some movies are just have to fun to watch. Others are kind of stick with you without making a big deal about it. Only Yesterday is definitely one of those.

I really liked how slow and relaxed it felt, and how it finds meaning in everyday stuff. I loved the farming scenes, the gradual color changes, the school play, the family's first experience of eating pineapple, and the small emotions of first love.

One moment that stuck with me really was when the boy didn’t shake Taeko’s hand. Nothing big happened, but that quiet moment said so much.

It also left me thinking about how there’s no use stressing over missed chances. There’s always another opportunity ahead if you just keep going forward.

By the time it ended, I wasn’t overwhelmed or anything. I just felt calm. And honestly, that’s sometimes exactly what you want from a movie.

If you enjoy quiet, reflective films that find beauty in ordinary moments, Only Yesterday is well worth watching.

Popular posts from this blog

Grandma’s Kitchen: A Taste of Yesterday

The Day I Got My First Library Card

The Annual Sports Day 2025